You’ve probably seen it on Twitter in the last couple months ”“ the hashtag #NannyGate. And no, it doesn’t refer to the 1993 debacle involving two of President Clinton’s Attorney General picks ”“ it refers to the contentious divorce proceedings between Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner, who have been married for a little over a decade. The big question surrounding the divorce, the one all of the paparazzi and gossip media have been trying to prove, is whether or not infidelity was the cause. Affleck and Garner say no ”“ but former nanny Christine Ouzounian says yes.
Did They or Didn’t They?
Who do we trust ”“ the estranged couple or the former nanny? It could be a case of a person jumping on the coattails of fame in hopes of riding to their own celebrity future, a process to be known henceforth as “Kardashian-ing.” Or, it could be true. Here’s an abridged timeline of the divorce from Entertainment Tonight:
- April 2015: Ouzounian is hired as the duo’s nanny. Breakup rumors appear after the celebrity duo were seen separately around LA on several occasions, including rumors that they were apart on Garner’s birthday
- June 21: Moving vans are spotted at the couple’s home.
- Week of June 22: Affleck, Garner, Ouzounian and the kids take a trip to the Bahamas. During the trip, Ouzounian’s fiancÃ© calls off their relationship suddenly ”“ according to an anonymous involved source, “Something happened in the Bahamas.” Foreboding.
- June 27: Affleck travels to Vegas with Ouzounian, but without the kids. Some sources say Garner fired Ouzounian after hearing about the Vegas trip.
- June 30: The divorce is announced.
- July 17: Ouzounian tips off paparazzi that she will be at Affleck rental home. Pictures show her delivering a bottle of champagne.
- July 29: Us Weekly claims Affleck dated Ouzounian. He denies it.
- July 29-now: Ouzounian has blown up her social media with pictures of expensive designer bags, dinners, trips and brand new cars ”“ but where is the money coming from?
Take that timeline how you will. At the moment there is no concrete evidence that infidelity is the cause of the separation or whether this Ouzounian character is credible.
A Highlands Ranch Divorce Lawyer Can Help
Infidelity is a common cause of divorce ”“ sad, but true. It is estimated that 30 to 60 percent of all married individuals in the U.S. will engage in infidelity during marriage. However, in Colorado, infidelity is not grounds for divorce ”“ Colorado is a no-fault state, meaning the only grounds you need are that your marriage is irretrievably broken. Call your Highlands Ranch Divorce Lawyer today.