Skip to content

How to File for Divorce in Colorado

The Divorce Process

Week 1

Petition for Dissolution of Marriage

When: Day 1

Here’s how to file for divorce in Colorado. To begin, one party (either of the spouses) must file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage (“Petition”) with the proper Court. Once the Petition is filed, the other party has 21 days to file a Response, or 35 days if served out of state.

If you file a co-petition, Service & Response are not necessary.

Week 2-5

Response to Petition

When: Within 21 Days of Being Served (35 days if you’re out of state)

The response must assert any additional claims the Responding party (the spouse who received the petition) has ”” such as spousal maintenance (a.k.a alimony).

The failure to timely request additional claims can result in the permanent waiver of such claim. Therefore, it is extremely important to timely assert all claims in your Response.

Week 6

Financial Disclosures

When: Within 42 Days of Being Served

Both parties must exchange the required financial disclosures, including a Sworn Financial Affidavit. Parties are required to file a Certificate of Compliance with C.R.C.P. 16.2(E) upon completion of financial disclosures.

Week 6

Initial Status Conference

When: Within 42 Days of Being Served

Within 42 days of filing for divorce, you will have an Initial Status Conference with the Court. This is usually an informal meeting to let the court know the issues involved in your case. If other issues need to be addressed, such as bills or other temporary issues, you can request a hearing be set to address these.

You also have a chance at mediation where both parties to try and work through issues meant to be dealt with in temporary orders.

Week 7-9

Temporary Orders

When: After Your Initial Status Conference

After you have had your Initial Status Conference and completed your Financial Disclosures, you and your spouse can have a Temporary Orders hearing to put into place a temporary plan regarding financial matters such as the payment of the mortgage, utilities, credit cards, car payments, child support, and possibly maintenance. The court will also determine a temporary parenting plan. The Temporary Orders are just that ”“ temporary. They will remain in place until Permanent Orders are issued.

Week 9-12


When: After Your Initial Status Conference

To prepare for Permanent Orders, either party can serve Discovery on the other party. Discovery typically includes Interrogatories and Requests for production of Documents.

Interrogatories are written questions that you must answer under oath. Requests for Production of Documents are just what you would think ”“ a request to turn over to your spouse relevant documents that you either have or are in your control.

Week 12-17


When: 35+ Days Before Your Permanent Orders Trial

Before your Permanent Orders trial, you must go through mediation. Mediation provides you and your spouse an opportunity to try to settle some, or all, of the issues in your case without going to trial. If the case settles during mediation, the agreements reached during the Mediation are filed with the Court and the Court is asked to approve the agreement. Once the Court approves the agreement, the dispute is resolved and the trial is cancelled.

Week 22

Trial (Optional)

When: After Failed Mediation

If you are unable to resolve all of the various matters in your case through Mediation, the case will proceed to trial and the Judge will decide your case. Although it is usually in your best interest to resolve your case without going to trial, there are times when the parties cannot reach an agreement. In those cases, the only option is to go to trial.

Week 24+


When: After Trial

If a party is not satisfied with the decision made by the Court, the decision can be appealed. There are specific time constraints related to an appeal. You will want to discuss options with your attorney.

Week 24+


When: Whenever Circumstances Change

If your circumstances change after your divorce, you can return to Court to modify certain prior orders issued by the Court. For example, a change in earnings might allow you to go to Court to change child support or maintenance. If you have additional questions about how to file for divorce in Colorado, please contact us today.  We would be happy to answer your questions.