After a rather quiet holiday with an amicable Christmas for Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, the couple has released their first joint statement regarding the status of their divorce.
The estranged spouses have signed agreements to seal the records of their divorce to protect the privacy of their six children. Additionally, the two will be using a private judge throughout the course of the divorce.
One month ago, Pitt took efforts to have a judge seal all divorce-related documents through an emergency hearing, but he was denied. Jolie’s camp fired back at him for the attempt, claiming that he was trying to protect himself, not the children. It seems that they were able to come to an agreement and move forward with the sealing of the documents.
This joint move may come as a shock after the period of contention the couple shared these last few months. Pitt and Jolie have a temporary custody arrangement where Pitt is allowed supervised visits with the children until a time comes that their dispute resolves. Pitt wants joint custody ”“ Jolie wants physical custody.
Determining Child Custody In Colorado Divorces
Courts in Colorado determine parenting time plans based on the best interests of the child. The child’s best interests are determined by looking at a variety of factors, including:
- The preference of the child if they are of a mature age to express their wishes
- The child’s educational needs and acclimation to his or her community
- The physical and mental health of all involved parties
- The proximity of the parents’ homes
- The capability of each parent to put the needs of the child above their own and the ability to foster a positive relationship between the child and the other party
How the courts will decide on custody for Brangelina and the kids, we do not know, but we will be keeping an eye on the story.