What a ride 2016 has been in the world of celebrity divorce. Here’s a recap of the Year that Celebrity Love Died.
- Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin. The actress and Coldplay frontman were married in 2002 and lasted 11 years before Gwyneth announced her “conscious uncoupling” from her husband. The two remained good friends and continued to spend time together. The divorce was announced in 2014, but was only finalized this year.
- Khloe Kardashian and Lamar Odom. This divorce was tumultuous, even as far as celebrity divorces go. After the two filed, Odom was found unconscious in Nevada and hospitalized for emergency treatment. Kardashian and Odom called off their divorce in the wake of Odom’s health scare, but announced in May that they were, indeed, going to divorce.
- Frances Bean Cobain and Isaiah Silva. The couple married in 2014 and filed for divorce in 2016. The two have been engaged in a vicious battle over a guitar that belonged to Cobain’s father, Kurt, for several months.
- Drew Barrymore and Will Kopelman. The couple married in 2012 and released a joint statement declaring their divorce intentions in 2016. The divorce appears amicable, and both parents are still actively involved with their two children.
- Johnny Depp and Amber Heard. The two married in 2015 and made it just over a year before domestic abuse allegations led to their divorce. In a particularly spiteful move over Heard’s divorce settlement, which she intended to donate to charity, Depp decided to skip the middleman and donate the settlement for her. For that, many accused him of using this shady tactic to obtain tax benefits for himself.
- Perhaps the biggest celebrity divorce bombshell of the year, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. It is said that Angelina decided to split from Brad due to disagreements over the way he parented their six children. The custody battle is still ongoing.
It has been a rough year for celebrity love. As 2016 comes to a close, we look forward to a new day, one we hope is a little less tumultuous for Hollywood lovers.
Our Denver divorce attorneys help Colorado families through matters of marriage, divorce, custody and more.